1. Write the word dreams on the board and ask the students to individually write down 10-15 words they associate with the topic.
2. Once they’ve done this, put them into groups of four to share their words.
3. Give out the poem for the students to read silently. Then, in their groups they discuss what words from their lists match the content of the poem.
4. Students individually write a story using words and ideas from their discussion.
5. Returning to their groups the students read out their stories and get the others to comment on them.
Any poem with a strong theme can be used as catalyst for writing a story in this way.